Tuesday, February 18, 2014

(Game Of Thrones) Read the Novel then watch the TV series

The Game of Thrones TV show is one of the best representations of its written counterpart. I have very little complains about the novel or the show. If you're a huge fan of the TV series like me I think you're doing yourself a huge disservice by not reading the novels though.



The reason I say this is because the show conveys everything that is experienced and said by the characters in the book. However, the one major aspect that the TV viewer is not receiving is what exactly is going on through the characters minds. Also whether they are reminiscing an old memory as they are traveling along a trail on a horse or something.

An example being in the show you'll see them traveling on the horse but in the novel you get the inner thoughts of the character as they are traveling, which gives you a bigger insight on who that person is. Read the novels first then watch the show.

Its hard to keep track of so many characters. Most of the time people who watch the show tend to focus on 2 out of the 7+ major families within the game of thrones universe. The issue of deciding to pay more attention to one family would be nonexistent if you read the books.



I mean yea sure I do realize that by doing this you spoil a lot of plot twists by yourself but at least you'll have a deeper understanding of everything that is happening. It feels great to see everything you imagined while reading on the big screen with such high production value.

You'll also know each characters names instead of referring them as the midget or princess with dragons. I am over-exaggerating a little with the princess though most viewers will know her as Khalese and lack the knowledge of her proper name Daenerys Targaryen. The reason I stress this is because I have lost count of how many of my friends who watch the show lack these bits of information.



Or maybe they ignore the presence of who they define as minor characters in the show. I have to explain to them why they should care about these roles that they deem unworthy based on the TV Show. They would feel differently if they read the novels. As season 4 is slowly approaching I can already see myself explaining things over and over again.

It’s a weekly ritual in my apartment to watch the newest episode with a group of friends, beer, Chinese takeout, or pizza. I usually end up being the encyclopedia to everyone in the room who has any questions because of my knowledge of the books.


4 comments:

  1. They always say that reading the book/comic is always better then the show/movie.
    One of the main reasons I am such a big fan of the show is that no one is safe. It kind of goes back to what you said about whom your friends define as minor characters because when you think someone is going to be the minor/main character, the story evolves and they switch the script on you. The Stark family was a good example of that. In your opinion, by reading these books and watching the show, which option did you feel had the biggest excitement and aw factor, if you had to do it allover again? Watch the show or read the book? Also do you believe the show would be better if we could know what is going on in the character’s mind? Because I feel most of the actors on the show portray emotions really well with their body language and facial expression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would still read the novels but thats just how I am. I love to read. hmm I'm not confident that the show would work if you could hear whats going on in the characters head because then it would be too much talking over the beautiful visuals where in one scene you actually admire the view the character is getting of a river or a battle. Mainly it wouldn't work because every character would get a voice for they're thoughts as oppose to one main character. the whole characters thoughts only work for tv if its one character like in the hit series Dexter or How I met your mother. When its multiple characters that only works in books which I strongly urge you to read whenever you have spare time.

      Delete
  2. Man, your exactly spot on. I love the show and it does condense everything, but the Benioff and Weiss are too great as producers and screenwriters to let you see this flaw. Their greatness makes it so that people will succumb to their laziness instead of indulging into a great book series. When i first saw the show, i had no idea that their were taken from books. I just thought to myself" wow what an awesome script". Then I read the first book to realize that GRRM writing is what makes everything awesome. It is the expansive detail and the true character development that leads to a better understanding of the world. Also, the theme of tradition in families throughout game of thrones is what intensifies the plot. The history of all the noble families makes every character just so much more interesting. (Like when Jaime says “By what right does the wolf judge the lion”).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can tell you have read the novels because most of my friends don't even remember favorite quotes. They are more amazed by fights or major character deaths. Benioff and Weiss did everything right in creating this show the way they did. Its written for all kinds of viewers but it is an underlining fact that its meant to be seen by the readers. its way more enjoyable that way in my opinion.

      Delete