Monday, February 17, 2014

(The Walking Dead) Comic Vs. TV Show

A lot of people have been talking about the walking dead television series for years now. Claiming that it’s a great show, it’s so amazing, it’s the best thing to happen on TV, and blah blah blah. I’ve honestly just about had it with the obsessive fans. That being said I am a fan myself so I'm not going to rule myself out completely either. 




I really like the show but I'm not blinded by its flaws. I am an even bigger fan of what the show's materials are based off of, the walking dead comic book. Which is ongoing as we speak. Being that the television series is on a cable network, the AMC channel, it has many limitations that are nonexistent in the comic book. 

Limitations like the F word being thrown out here and there, or tits and penises not being censored in sexual acts, or survivors of the apocalypse being brutally murdered by another maniac. By the maniac part I mean another person torturing another survivor. 

I'd like to remind everyone that things would still not be any different if the show was on HBO known for its freedom to allow its shows rated mature. The network turned down the walking dead several years ago before AMC stole the opportunity.




The TV show does technically show these MA-rated events but it’s very toned down. It mainly gets away with showing a zombie kill and some blood. While the comic book isn't afraid to go full Quentin Tarantino on itself. My main annoyance with the show is due to its different tones.

Each season for one reason or another has its show-runner changed aka person in charge of every part of the production ranging from writing to directing. Due to this continuous shift we get seasons as viewers that either work or don't. The first season worked and so has this current 4th season, thank god.

With the comic book you just get Robert Kirkman its creator, who has some involvement with the TV series every now and then. So with every monthly issue of the comic you know what you're going to get. I mean the twists and turns are still very unpredictable but the tone isn't.




I’m still going to watch the TV show but above all I am going to continue enjoying the comic book even more. If you haven’t read the comic you should give it a try especially if you want to get the full walking dead experience. I'm not going to cross out the fact that some people dislike reading. Those that don't should give the TV show a chance unless you’ve already been doing so.     

3 comments:

  1. “The Walking Dead” Television and Comic books are both interesting. Zombies are portrayed in both the comic book and television series in a different way from horror films. However, I agree with the blog post that the television series has certain flaws that cannot be overlooked. The television series has attracted many fans that follow it obsessively and some of them have not reached the consent age. Due to the fact that the AMC is a cable channel network that is viewed by people of diverse age groups, censorship of certain aspects of the film necessary. This has watered down some aspects of the TV version of the “The Walking Dead.” On the other hand, there is no censorship in the comic book and this gives the reader an opportunity to get the actual tone of the comic story. While many people prefer to view the television series over the comic book that the film is based on, reading the comic book gives one an opportunity to get a full and rich experience.

    Rufino A. Abreu

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Walking Dead is a great show. I do agree with you that with the showerunners being changed like a new pair of jeans the show feels inconsistent. But, I still find it to be one of the best shows on television and it does a lot of things right when it comes to character development, plot, and handling those M-Rated situations. I think AMC is probably the best cable network that provides quality entertainment, HBO has a strong case, but with the Walking Dead it is able to attract so many fans. Zombie lovers who love horror watch it, fans of the comic watch it, and people who think Daryl is awesome watch it. In the end, the comic is always going to outclass the show, but the insane amount of popularity cannot be denied as I'm always ready to watch the Walking Dead Sundays at 9:00 PM on AMC. I do agree, that the experience will be better if you have read the comic and watch the show, but where else will you get great quotes like, "You walk outside, you risk your life. You take a drink of water, you risk your life. Nowadays you breath and you risk your life. You don’t have a choice. The only thing you can choose is what you’re risking it for." R.I.P- Hershel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't deny that Darryl is one of the reasons I still hang on to the TV show because he doesn't exist in the comic book. The show did a terrible job with lori and andrea though. Such a bad job that I was glad when they got killed off. The writers are lazy when it comes to some of the characters and that is a bad thing. In the comic Andrea is still very much alive with sniper skills that would rival Hawkeye from avengers. Like I said before though this season hasn't let me down. Some good writing happening this year. I really hope the show runner does not change again.

      Delete